Breeding my call ducks, help me pick the best pairs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    I have been told that for best fertility it is best to seperate the ducks into breeding pairs. I have a grey Drake and a white drake and I have two Snowy ducks. What will I get from crossing them? Looking at the picture which duck would do best with which drake? Daisy the runner duck is not included obviously.
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Melissa

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    mixing the colors you have will just make mixed colored call. They can actually be very cute all mixed up. There are certain colors you can mix to make another standard color.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

they're beautiful. If you lived anywhere near me, I'd have to see the babies, however you mix them up! [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Since they will be mixed colored babies, it really doesnt matter who you put who with. You do get the best fertility with paired matings. Also, make sure they have a dish of water for them to mate in.

5. chickensducks&agoose

Is 'paired mating' when you select 1 male and 1 female and sort of sequester them?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

chickensducks&agoose :

Is 'paired mating' when you select 1 male and 1 female and sort of sequester them?

Yes. You want to pick your best male, and best female, and pair them up by themselves, at least 3-4 weeks before the hen starts laying.​

7. chickensducks&agoose

I think the prettiest are the mallard looking one, and the white one in the middle...

8. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Couple of more questions.
    What colors can you mix together to get other colors?
    When should i seperate them? They where laying in Nov. Dec and just stopped at the beginning of January
    Can I leave my runner duck with one of the pairs or will she interfear?
    Anyone have pictures of These crosses to see what the mixed colors look like?
    Thanks
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by