Breeding my chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    First, I'm sure the answers are going to be personal opinion but, which would be better for raising/selling...Old English Bantams or Silver pencilled wyandotte bantams? Also, living in Virginia, what is the going price when it comes time to sell?

2. RedPyleLady

RedPyleLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    im not sure about the price but anything pencill seems to be pretty popular and i believe wyandottes are pretty popular too :) OEGB are also a breed people seem to love but if it were me i would sell the wyandottes something more unique : )

3. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Thank you for your response...seems like I usually don't get any. Do you have any idea, even ballpark, how much they go for?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Why not just get some of both? I think wyandottes are cute, but I like fluffy chickens :) I'm not sure about the price, I don't keep bantams. I usually sell standard sized pullets and hens for $10-15.

5. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Thanks...I think that's what I am going to do. Their eggs won't be "purebred" for about 2 weeks, correct? I've got the pairs separate from the rest of the flock then will collect the eggs and store them in the cabinet until I get about 0 from each hen. Not to go much longer than 0 days right? Should I let the roosters out, not keep them separate until this 2 week period is up? No sense in keeping them away, just let the hens lay whatever eggs until then, then put their mates with them?

6. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Sorry...that's ten eggs, and ten days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by