Breeding my hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snakelife, Aug 26, 2013.

1. snakelife

snakelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    So I wanted to breed my barred rock come this spring. But I live in a small neighborhood where I can't have Roos. I know of people that would let me use a roo to breed her and I could keep it in my yard for a few days but how long does the breeding take? I would love to have some babies. Or should I just get some fertilized eggs once she's broody and slip them under her. I would just love to have some little babies.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It takes about 5 seconds but keep in mind that resulting chicks will probably be 50/50 pullets/cockerels.

Also, you can't make a hen go broody and once bred, the eggs will only be fertile about 3 weeks.
    A broody hen won't be bred because she won't come out of the nest and if she did, she won't be laying eggs - because she's broody.

1 person likes this.
  3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

You know sometimes its easy to miss the glaringly obvious isn't it lol. I've actually wondered a similar thing but then read your reply and went duh how could I have not thought of that :)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The best way to participate in breeding a line of birds you like is to have a partner. Someone who will assist you, someone who lives in the country that can breed and can keep a quality cockbird. You may not precisely get offspring from your own hen, although even that is possible, but you can share in the selection of breeding stock, putting them into breeding pens and then assist in the hatching of the fertile eggs and brooding out the chickens.

Something to think about.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's normally the case. I think people sometimes overthink things.
    I teach several levels of classes on chickens and it seems like it's harder for people that grew up in the city and never had contact with anything more than a dog or cat to wrap their head around working with livestock.

6. snakelife

Mar 16, 2013
    Could I give her fertilized eggs once she goes broody?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

She may never go broody. It is more likely she won't than she will. But, in the rare instance she does, yes, you can put fertile eggs under her. You'd have to have virtually immediate access to those eggs.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, if your hen goes broody, you can just slip fertile eggs under her. But again, what are you going to do with all the little roosters you hatch out?

If you really want chicks, and IF your hen ever goes broody (most hatchery birds don't), you could let her set on dummy eggs for a few weeks then try slipping day old sexed chicks under her. Most hens do well with this and raise the babies happily.

9. snakelife

Mar 16, 2013
    I have immediate access to eggs. I could have them within an hour of me finding her broody. The same lady that would give me the eggs would take the little Roos back to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by