Breeding my Sapphire Gem

maryg930

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
Hey guys!

I have an awesome sapphire gem hen, she is two years old. This winter she has remained laying every other day and sometimes even twice a day! She’s free range, I don’t use lights on her. All natural!

I want to get her a rooster so she can have some babies and continue the awesome laying genes.

Do y’all have any recommendations for rooster breeds? Does it matter? She’s very dominant. Should I just pick a rooster breed I think is the prettiest?

IMG_8919.jpg
IMG_8925.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
What qualities are you wanting to see in the offspring that could help us figure this out a little easier.

Hello! I would love to see some more docile less dominant qualities, she is very feisty and she is not a lap chicken. I would love some chickens that will let me pick them up, pet them, etc.

Than I would suggest either an Orpington rooster or something along the lines of a cochin or Brahma, the later 2 would produce chicks with feathered feet. You could also go with marans and or really anything that is a docile breed. I’d suggest staying away from the Mediterranean breeds such as leghorns or minor as as they are more flighty, but they would really ramp up the egg laying abilities. It really all depends on how a chicken was raised though to be honest, if they’re not handled when young they will definitely not want to be handled when full grown.

Than I would suggest either an Orpington rooster or something along the lines of a cochin or Brahma, the later 2 would produce chicks with feathered feet. You could also go with marans and or really anything that is a docile breed. I’d suggest staying away from the Mediterranean breeds such as leghorns or minor as as they are more flighty, but they would really ramp up the egg laying abilities. It really all depends on how a chicken was raised though to be honest, if they’re not handled when young they will definitely not want to be handled when full grown.

Good to know! Yes I think this hen wasn't handled at all growing up unfortunately. She isn't scared of me being near her, but hates being touched. She is also very aggressive and dominant in a flock. I have had to remove all smaller hens because she has seriously injured them.

Cochins tends to be on the lower end of the pecking order and they would be very pretty hybrid chicks from them. Hatchery quality Cochins are readily available on the internet. The hybrid chicks would also be more fluffy and will have slightly feathered legs. They will also continue to lay brown eggs, but it could slow down the amount of eggs you get from the mixes.

I would suggest an australorp. You can find them in blue. Some of the other breeds mentioned do not having the laying qualities you are trying to retain.

Back
Top Bottom