Breeding my Silkies among other breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sean2571, Aug 9, 2013.

1. sean2571

sean2571 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    I recently found that one of my Silkie hens is a roo. I've considered breeding it with my other Silkie hens. I have three other breeds among my flock - all hens. My question is how can I ensure that my Silkie roo only fertilizes my Silkie hens?

Thanks

Sean
    Raleigh, NC

2. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Well I don't know much about silkies, but is he the only rooster you own? if so why not just take the eggs out from the other hens?

3. sean2571

Jan 31, 2013
    Buttercup, thank you for the reply. Your advice would be the obvious solution. Maybe I should've phrased my question differently. When people want to breed certain chickens among their flocks, do they try and keep the rooster from mating with the other hens, or do they do as you suggest?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well he will either mate or attempt to mate all of your hens. Unless you have an extremely large flock, he will probably manage to mate all of your hens with little trouble. I'm not certain why you are concerned with him mating your other hens.

5. sean2571

Jan 31, 2013

6. sean2571

Jan 31, 2013
    I only want to breed Silkies, and didn't know if was a concern with it mating with the others. I'm a novice with a flock of nine chickens. I set out to raise them for eggs only, so I'm not versed on any breeding information. How long after a fertilized egg is laid do I have before the chicken start to form? In other words, I don't want to crack open an egg to find a partially formed chick.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicks will not start to form until the eggs are incubated at approximately 100 F. Collect the eggs daily and don't allow the hens to set/brood them, and there will be no development.

8. sean2571

Jan 31, 2013
    Great! Good, clear information. I read a thread about "setting" by the full moon, but wasn't sure what that meant. So, from what you're saying, I'll continue to collect my eggs daily, separating the Silkie eggs from the rest and set them when I'm ready. I've got some time since my Silkie hens are only about 4 months old (providing they are, in fact hens)
    Thanks a bunch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by