Breeding New Zealand rabbits Q

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pullonyourboots, Aug 8, 2013.

1. pullonyourboots

pullonyourboots Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have been doing a bunch of research on them and cant seem to find the best time for them to mate for this particular breed. One website said at 5 months... another said 8-9 months... when did you start breeding yours?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    9 mos, but some may take a while longer.

3. MrMayo

MrMayo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    I have a friend that bread his @ 5 months. One had a litter of 8 with 6 survival and the other had a litter of 4 with all surviving. I purchased 7 of the 10. There all in perfect health. They are 7 weeks now and there are a few that are just HUGE!!!! I will be keeping these for breed stock.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would be more comfortable recommending a person wait until the rabbits is at least 8-9 months old, though many are bred much earlier and do just fine. However, just because they CAN breed young, doesn't always mean it is best for the health of the animal.

5. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Typically it's best to wait for the young'ns to be 8-9 months with New Zealands. The smaller breeds can be bred earlier but the bigger the breed the long you want to wait because the bigger the babies will be and the more potential to hurt a smaller rabbit during birth or be to big to birth and kill mother and babies.

6. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll usually start mine by 6 months. Just got two litters from new mamas, they had 8 each and no losses. I have found that there are some does that will let you/the buck know when she's ready. If a young doe refuses (hides in the corner), I'll leave off for a couple more weeks before I try her again. Sometimes they know better than we do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by