1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding olive eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by carriesh, Feb 1, 2013.

1. carriesh

carriesh New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    i have received 4 olive eggers(not sure what breeds were used to create them). just wondering if i can breed the roosters with the hens? i have heard no.
    Carrie

2. carriesh

carriesh New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    also i have copper marans and easter eggers...can i breed those? and if so what would they be called? just a cross or a specific breed? also what color eggs would they lay?
    thanks
    carrie

3. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Crossing Marans with EE is a popular way to make olive eggers. Breeding olive eggers together can give you different shades of greens and browns depending on the egg color genes that each chicken inherited.

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    My favorite Olive Eggers were the product of Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and Cuckoo Marans. They turned out a Blue Cuckoo and laid lovely olive colored eggs. I wish I'd had the time/space to continue with them, as I really liked them. Maybe someday I'll get back to them again...

5. mommachick1

mommachick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Laura, do you have any pictures of your blue ameraucana/cuckoo marans cross? I think it sounds so cool. What shade of Olive egg did you get from these? Just wondering... [​IMG]

6. mommachick1

mommachick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Good to know! I'm a newbie chicken owner and we have 3 EE hens and an unrelated black/lav split roo. We were planning on getting some Marans this Spring and try to get some Olive eggs. Like Carrie, I was under the impression that you shouldn't breed OE's to OE's, but now I know you can. Cool! Theresa

7. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

The genetics of egg colour are interesting.
    I have a project going to do the opposite of you-
    I am crossing Araucanas with White Leghorn to hopefully produce a blue egg layer.

M

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can breed any breed of rooster to any breed of hen. They're all chickens and trust me, the roo will mate with any hen.

If you mate two different breeds, you get a mixed breed. Some mixed breeds have been given names based on the consistent results--olive eggers are one. There are a few different combos that can be used to make them, but the're mixed breed birds. Absolutely nothing wrong with breeding mixes, especially if you're after a specific result.

I have some brown leghorn/ee mixes that are my favorite layers. They lay huge light green eggs, the oldest one is 4 years old and is giving me about 3 eggs a week even in this gloomy winter!
    I hatched out some of their eggs (under my homemade bsl roo) and am waiting for the pullets to start laying!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by