Breeding options

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HandsomePoultry, Feb 4, 2017.

1. HandsomePoultry

HandsomePoultry Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    So, I am going to do a fairly large hatch in the coming week(s) to get some chicks to give to friends and keep for myself. I have 3 buff hens, two barred rock hens, a Brahma and several production reds and golden comets. These are mainly my layers. I also will be adding a EE and a RiR hen fairly soon. My roosters are a barred rock and a golden comet. I am considering what to breed to what for hatching. I might only do the straight Barred rocks but I like to play with crosses, which will be rehomed as mutts and I maybe will keep a hen or two. My question is what do you guys think would be fun? Also I am between buying a new rooster to replace the GC as a barred cochin, or a EE rooster. Thanks!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Well, the barred rock hens with the GC rooster would be black sex links.

I think EEs are lots of fun, cross them with the GC rooster. The BR rooster would only throw barred chicks, though they could have leakage and be pretty too.

3. HandsomePoultry

HandsomePoultry Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
    From my knowledge the barred rock chicks are sexable at birth. I can get sex links though with th GC? That would be a fun option. I currently have everybody together so parents may be a guess if I just do a straight hatch. I was going to separate a few out though into breeding groups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by