Breeding or display of dominance?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Reba24, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Reba24

Reba24 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Upstate NY
    So I have 4 ducks and they are all turning 1yr old in June, they are all male from what I can tell bc they all have the male tail curl, they are just farm ducks no specific breed, but when in the kiddie pool one keeps like trying to I think breed(climb and bite the neck of another) with one other, is it possible I have a female, like they all have that distinctive curl I was told was a male thing and I haven't had any lay any eggs yet but I dont know if that was because they were too young.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Does one QUACK?.....Drakes are raspy...;).......Males will breed each other and aggressively without Hens to breed with when hormones are high..:(........

If you have a Hen ?...You will need to save Her life from them..:(

3. Vyctoria

Vyctoria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It sounds to me like you have all drakes, but they're getting caught up in their own hormones. I've heard of drakes mounting each other when no hens are present.

4. Reba24

Reba24 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Do I need to be concerned? I mean I just today lost the runt of the clutch because he apparently was picked on (we didn't know until it was too late), I just want to know if I should be more attentive to certain things or if I can leave them be

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes...Be very concerned ...:(....You have all drakes with raging hormones...They will kill each,other without a release. Meaning Hens..;)....,

6. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yep i agree. They need seperated before another gets hurt or killed :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by