1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Orpingtons Blue+Splash Questions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RyanAndMeri, Nov 19, 2008.

1. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    We need help! We have some large Blue, Black and Splash Orpington's and need to know what colors we'll get when we breed them. I've seen with other blue breeds this table for Langshans, Pekins, Old English Bantams:

Blue X Blue = 50% blue, 25% splash, 25% black
    Blue X Splash = 50% splash, 50% Blue
    Splash X Splash = 100% splash

Would these results also be correct for Orpington's?

Also, on a side note: what happens if a Black Sumatra breeds with a Blue Orpington, they able to produce anything? What about a Black Sumatra and a Banty Mille Fleur d'Uccle? The Black Sumatara seems to think the little Banties are his for some reason [​IMG] We'll be hatching eggs in the spring and I dont want too many surprises.

Thanks!
    Ryan & Meri

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Color ratios are correct for ops as well.
    As for the other questions on crosses, you would get mutts [​IMG]

3. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot.

We like your signature... so where do we get a banty that think's he's 10 feet tall and bullet proof?! That has to be pure commedy!!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If you have a banty rooster, chances are you he will have that invincable attitude. They are so very funny! They have no clue that they are little. Beau, constantly puts my big Wyandotte roos in their places. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

They have no clue that they are little. Beau, constantly puts my big Wyandotte roos in their places. lau

VERY true...my tiny Serama roo thinks he is the boss of everyone! AND HE IS! [​IMG] [​IMG] Talk about funny when he mates the big birds...he jumps on their back and tries but there is no way! [​IMG] They seem to enjoy the back rub! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by