Breeding out Black

MikeandCandice

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
I'm am thinking of using Jersey Giants for size for a project breed. All other breeds are e+/wild. If I add JG's for size I wonder how many breedings it will take to get out black plumage since it is dominant/E. I know I could add Columbian as a restrictor but would prefer to stick with as few birds as possible in the mix. It's just a consideration at this point.

I'm not well educated on the breed but thought the white birds were quite a bit smaller. I really prefer to keep the white out even though the black is more dominant. I hear white is h e double hockey sticks to get rid of and can be very recessive. Where is a genetics buff? I think 3 breedings will get most of it out.

I want a new "strain", as I will call it..... of a large brown egg layer. I want roosters about 10lbs with single combs, partridge feathering, yellow skinned, large brown eggs from hens, just another dual purpose chicken, more vigor, more hardy, more disease resistant. I had another project in mind but it is too complex at this time. I just need something to play with for four years or so till I get the feel of mixing genes. Lots of fried chicken I'm thinking. Lots of chicken salad, lots of chicken feet.

If you cross your F1s then 25% of the F2s will be what you want.
So you can do this in only two matings.

Grandparents:
Jersey Giant E/E Other Breed e+/e+

Parents (F1) all E/e+ (phenotype will be black)

Children (F2)

25% E/E (phenotype will be black)
50% E/e+ (phenotype will be black)
25% e+/e+ (phenotype will be partridge)

hope this helps!

Last edited:
It is easier to completely breed out a dominant trait as it cannot hide. Assuming that we are only talking one gene (and of course, we are not) teh first generatio of an E/E crossed to an e+/e+ would give all E/e+ offspring. Select the chicks with the best type and breed back to the target breed. E/e+ bred to e+/e+ should give about half E/e+ and about half e+/e+. Those with E should be obvious, and you probably don't want to use them unless they are really good in other traits.

So, you keep breeding the birds with the best of the trait you want to bring in back to excellent type of the target breed.

Quote:
Yes, but that would most likely dilute down the size since there would less of the Jersey Giants
genes in play (25% versus 50%). It would totally depend on the goal of the breeding program.
But your right, 25% more usable chicks per hatch is a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom