breeding out the brown egg gene

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
how would one go about breeding out the brown egg gene... ie; if you want EEs that lay blue eggs not green...

note: my interest is purely to satisfy my curiosity... I understand it is likely that you would spend much less time and money just finding a breeder with actual ameracaunas or araucanas...

Last edited:
Choose the rooster with the best pea comb (not flopped over or too tall, not with large spikes/points) preferably small, tight, and regular/parallel rows.

Choose the hen with the best blue eggs. If all lay green eggs, basically use the best rooster and then in the second generation, choose only the hens laying blue or blueish eggs. It takes time, being that you gotta wait til they lay.

Choose the rooster with the best pea comb (not flopped over or too tall, not with large spikes/points) preferably small, tight, and regular/parallel rows.

Choose the hen with the best blue eggs. If all lay green eggs, basically use the best rooster and then in the second generation, choose only the hens laying blue or blueish eggs. It takes time, being that you gotta wait til they lay.

thanks... I never would have expected it to be that simple... the comb is really an indicator?...

In most but not all cases. Now if you're using a pea combed brown egg layer, bad news. You'll just have to do a lot of test mating and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom