Breeding Pen Idea Thread

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Sep 17, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Well I asked Nifty there could be a breeding Pens/Coops ideas/ Coop contest to be on Coop page and he said we could If I found enough people with Pictures and make BYC pages anout the Pens So we need alot of people to make this a big thread So post your Pix and Plans!

Here is my plan I have not started to build yet I am going to start in Spring! [​IMG]

This will be for my Lavender Silkies and they will have runs attached to the different sections
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG]

Just one angle of many of my plan. Image got a bit blurry when changing to JPG though.

Boys live together, girls live together, breeding pens are so I know who breeds who and when, nesting room is separate and I check it frequently.

Brooder/Chick place is separate, and not in the photo.

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Great Do you have Pix after its built?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's already built. The buildings came with the property, we just set up the fence and the housing means. Taking pics of it though is kind of a big mess. The girls' pasture is about 2-3 acres big, the boy's place is a jungle of shrubs, trees, etc and would be just taking photos of a fenced in, umm, jungle, and the buildings, well - They look like old Cedar shingle/side buildings from the Northwest. [​IMG]

The nesting room is actually an old building attachment to the rest that came with a bunch of shelves, so I decided to turn the shelves into nesting boxes, and put pallets up against them to allow heavier breed chickens to hop easily up to higher levels.

The coops, boys and girls, are huge and walk-in, and both equipped with perches made from tree trunks or 2x4's, laid on the wide side so the boys don't have an uncomfortable place to perch.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well sence i dont have that many chickens as of yet im building a 4x8 chicken tractor with a 4x12 run to keep for my breeding pen im hopeing that i can keep one rooster and 6 hens in it next spring to get my self enuff eggs to hatch for our selves but im not sure yet if im going to keep my other roosters yet if i dont keep them i wont need the tractor cause ill only keep the one rooster for the winterand the marans eggs are easy to tell apart from my barred rock eggs and my wyandot hens

6. I-Have-Happy-Hens

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    come on everybody!! Please post

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've never used plans to build a coop, pen or add ons I just wing it.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:x2

We never use any plans. We just create the idea in our mind and build.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    We turned our garage/shed into a chicken coop then added a split 20x20 run attached and covered (hawks). We have the bigger girls on one side and our new flock of 6 week olds and 2 3 weeks olds on the other side. Just finished and we and the girls love it. Most of all the materials we used were recycled except the 2x8x20's and the treated lumber. The coop and run only cost us 229.00.

[​IMG]
    The inside, split coop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for looking!

10. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    CeeCee I really like your set up! I've been trying to talk DH into this, but so far no joy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by