Breeding pens and housing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Unclebean, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I'm getting eggs from Steve at S and S Poultry and I'm trying to plan ahead. I plan to free range the turkeys but I do want to provide a secure place for them to roost if they decide to go inside. How many sq. ft. / bird is recommended for a roosting pen? I also want to incorporate breeding pens in to this design. How many sq. ft. / bird is recommended for a breeding pen? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Unclebean

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Any suggestions please?

3. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I can tell you what I have and that I feel it is about right for 5 or 6 full grown birds. I have a 5x7 ft shed attached to a 8x24 ft covered run. They seem pretty happy in there. I will be making some nsting boxes in the shed and putting a few more soosts in the run but all in all it seems about the right size. So that would be 5ft each in the shed at night and 28 ft each in the run.

Raising them till feathered out inside I have read someplace 3sq ft each recommended.
    [​IMG]

4. Unclebean

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:Thank you! I think a set-up like that would work for me too. I guess I would need two areas like this since I'll have some Bourbon Red and some Standard Bronze. Thanks again!

5. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Quote:This may not work for you. They are in Texas and you are in PA. Your snow load would be a concern in what you build.

Check with you county extension agent about plans for turkey/chicken coops. The size will depend on how many poults hatch. Also, if you are going to buy new poults each year or have a breeding program and raise your own poults next year. If you will raise your own, then you will need more space for nests etc. have a friend that uses cattle panels. She arches them and has a wood frame on the bottom. Then zip ties a tarp on the top and rear. Works great.

A standard dog kennel would also work. Place PVC pipe bowed for the top and cover with a tarp.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. Unclebean

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Quote:This may not work for you. They are in Texas and you are in PA. Your snow load would be a concern in what you build.

Check with you county extension agent about plans for turkey/chicken coops. The size will depend on how many poults hatch. Also, if you are going to buy new poults each year or have a breeding program and raise your own poults next year. If you will raise your own, then you will need more space for nests etc. have a friend that uses cattle panels. She arches them and has a wood frame on the bottom. Then zip ties a tarp on the top and rear. Works great.

A standard dog kennel would also work. Place PVC pipe bowed for the top and cover with a tarp.

Thanks for the information. I'm getting shipped eggs this year but I plan to hatch my own eggs in the years to come. I would probably truss a roof because of the snow in PA. Should an area be enclosed for the nest boxes? Any other suggestions?

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    I always place my nest boxes under cover, but that does not mean they will use them.

8. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    On the nest box topic, what are the likelyhood of them actually using the nest box or would I be wasting my time and materials building them one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by