Breeding Pens for Birds with Feathered Feet

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Celtic Hill, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I keep my D'uccles in Pairs and Trios and i want to create a small pen/tractor for them but i don't want it to ruin their foot feathering. Does anyone have any ideas/planns?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I was wondering the same thing. I got some silkies and hatching some bcm. I was think maybe sand would work. It would help to not get as muddy. But maybe ppl that raise em will chime in

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I'm sure you'll get alot of different opinions....but I'm partial to shavings. The pooh seems to "clump" in the shavings instead of getting embedded in the feet feathers, and even if it does, it's easier to pull out.

Also, I haven't noticed any foot feather breakage with the shavings; which is an added bonus.

Plus, my birds are still able to take "dust bathes" in the shavings.

In small areas with the shavings, I can use a kitty litter scoop to do a daily clean up

4. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I also thought of shavings. Do you shavings get wet when it rains? I just heard that shavings will get mold on them.

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Well, I didn't do anything special but I have two fancy roos at the moment along with three un fancy roos and two unfancy hens (i know, I know) but, here is my coop!
    [​IMG]

6. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    bigsprings~~I've never noticed mold developing in the shavings when they get damp or rained on. Maybe it's because the girls stir the shaving around so much....I don't know.

7. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Ok thanks. I'll give shavings a go

8. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I am by no means a expert, but I think it depends, are you conditioning them for show? If so most people keep them off the ground on thick shavings (4-6 inches). If they are just pets, I dont think foot feathering is that important. I think you can go to www.silkiesbygeorge.com and look under coop, there are some pens on there. Hope it helps.

Candace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by