1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Pens...How they work

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PamB, Aug 5, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I have two roosters that I want to use in my Blue, Black, Splash breeding. My plan is to separate them in pens for breeding. My question is, if a hen is out with the flock, including the other rooster and that other rooster is mating her, do I need to separate her for three weeks and then put her in the pen with the other boy? Does she need three weeks in between so that I know that the first boy isn't the dad? Thanks for you help, up until now I've only used one boy for breeding.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    I'd say a month to be pretty safe, but you could try them at 3 weeks if you want. Ya never know, though.

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Ok, so I would separate her for 3 or 4 weeks, then add her with the second roo for another 3 or 4 weeks, then I know those eggs are from the second roo?

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Do you mean keeping the hen away from all roos for 3 weeks? I don't think that's necessary, just know that her eggs may be fertile from that first roo for a period of time.

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Ok, so I would separate her for 3 or 4 weeks, then add her with the second roo for another 3 or 4 weeks, then I know those eggs are from the second roo?

I'd say so.

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    what colors are the roosters

7. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    One is blue and the other is an awesome splash that I have growing out. He is still a baby, but really nice and I don't think I'll be able to give him up.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Do a bit of research as you have time; I have read that a new roo bred to a hen nullifies the first roos semen by the third day with the new rooster. I would like further evidence though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by