breeding pens in shed

folmar25

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
im sure there are already things said about this somewhere but i will be getting a 12x26 shed given to me by my amish neighbor who builds them but im wondering if anybody has any pictures or ideas of breeding pens they have attatched to there sheds or inside of them so i can breed specific roosters with certain hens or have gamebird breeding pens they tied into a shed i would appreciate some ideas thankyou

All I can say is I am really jealous and I have ideas in my head but nothing I can show you.

Depending on number and breed you could have coop areas inside that come 5-6' into the interior along the long wall. For example if you were doing four breeds you could have four 6x6 coop parts, each with their own run running outward from their. Interior divisions are easy and relatively cheap since you can use chicken wire or even netting for divisions, with 8" of board at the floor to contain bedding.

Alternatively, you could have one narrow end be a female area and the opposite end be the male area, each with a pop door going out to a large yard for each and then have a central neutral area either inside or out for conjugal visits of your chosen pairs.

So, I guess the first questions are, do you want to be able to keep your boys with their respective harems continuously, do you want the girls to be separate from the boys except for breeding (makes it easier to alternate free range days if applicable), how many breeding groups will you have, will you breed year round or do them in cycles, etc.

With a 26 foot long 12 foot wide building as the start, you can put in 4 - 6 ft. wide breed stalls with an interior length of 6 feet or you could do a double sided 4.5 foot towards the center of the building on both sides (leaves you three feet for center access path) and have 4x2- 4.5 x 6 stalls Then just build outdoor runs that keep all the stalls separated. You would have space at one end for storage of supplies too. This is a similar setup to what T. Jefferson had at Monticello and it is similar to what P. Allen Smith has on his farm. This sort of set up allows for keeping breeds separate and you can designate one stall for cocks and one for breeding with the hens occupying the other six stalls.

Like this https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pic-of-our-breeding-barn.431150/

Back
Top Bottom