Breeding Pens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fresheggs4u, May 26, 2010.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I'm not sure it this is where I should post this question or not. But anyway....

I would like to breed three different flocks. I currently have Black Copper Marans (chicks) and Plymouth Barred Rock hens and Rhode Island Red roosters. What I would like to do after I get a Barred Rock rooster, is to separate my birds by breed and produce BCM, Barred Rocks and Black Sex links. Here is the question finally, how do I build breeding pens and how may birds show I include in each pen. I don't want a huge number of individual pens due to costs and watering issues.

Any suggestions? I currently have one coop and three different runs. What is a cheap way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Hm, I am thinking of doing the same - maybe you can change your title to 'pics of breeding pens, please' and see what happens
    Not sure about the size, but I would love to see pics!

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Think of breeding pens as small coops. Enough to hold a trio or small flock of good chickens. Since you have 3 runs it is easy to use those for breeding pens. Just put a hutch in them to be a coop. Or if they all attach to your coop divide coop on inside so birds do not mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by