Breeding philosophies or beliefs .

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SteveH, Dec 21, 2009.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I was taught that both parents contributed equally but an older friend/mentor who was very successful at breeding horses told me the mother contributed more than the father . I asked what made him think that . He told me that some things were only passed on from father to daughter and daughter to her offspring ; making the maternal grandsire the most important horse in the pedigree and thus his daughter was more important than his son .

Studying pedigrees of race horses and other four leggers , learning about midachondrial DNA , and now learning about sex linked chickens now makes me think he knew something . Anyone here with a more scientific explanation for that ?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Female horse and Male chicken have the upperhand in passing sexlinked characteristics, especially to the opposite sex.
    The mitochondrial DNA does not hold that much information, but crappy mitochondria are not good for a racehorse.
    Mitochondria are the energy generators of the cell.

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Thank you Chris . That was a good read and it combined with the article on Spiral linebeeding remind me of another old time breeder s who ran a breeding program based on three lines . Instead of using A-B-C or numbers for titles of the three lines , they were named after the female it was based on . I used to look for a sire to improve my stock , thinking he would produce 100% of my stock and a dam only maybe 10% ; if you can only afford to buy one better make it a male . My old mentor always said no , buy the best dam you can afford and save her best son as your sire .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  5. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    When working with chickens, it is important to keep in mind that in many of the varieties the males have a different primary color pattern than the females (caused by E locus). This is also true in secondary color pattens ( barring, spangling, etc). The presence or absence of male or female hormones can cause completely different color patterns in the male and female chickens.

Chris ,

Good article makes good sense.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by