breeding pros and cons

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by allmychickens, Dec 27, 2011.

1. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I have been dying to build more coops and focus on breeding but I would have to convince my mom that it isn't a bad Idea oor just a waste of money... How much can show quality chicks sell for?? If I can convince her that I could earn money and pay her back she might be okay with it.I was thinking I wanted to breed polish, cochins, and silkies... please help me!!!!!!!

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Well, I payed 50$ for my first good show Silkie hen?

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it really all depends on the market. there is an action that is ending today with silkie eggs (white and black silkies) thats up over $100 right now. good show birds you are looking at paying a good penny for. plus you need to have enough hens to produce a good amount of eggs to sell as they will all lay differently, if you only get a trio your looking at 2 eggs a day for say 3 days to get them shipped out on time so thats 6 eggs going out and there is no gureentee that both hens will lay an egg a day. i would go for about 10 hens and 2 roosters (5 hens per roo) for good fertility, which before you sell any eggs you need to incubate at least 5-6 of those eggs to see if they are fertile if you cant tell if they are fertile by cracking them open. with 10 hens you should be able to expect, once they start laying, at least 5-6 eggs a day, that way you can sell them by the dozen and add a few extra if you want.

with chicks it can be a bit more difficult, as in will you sell just local or will you ship them as well. i wouldnt expect a be profit from having chicks to sell, depending on age you plan on selling them at, you have the cost of hatching, feeding, and watering. electric bill will go up from it. shipping cost can and more than likly will flutate(sp). the older a chick is the more it will cost to ship. day olds have the yolk sack that feed them for the first 3 days after that you will have to add some sorce of food and water for them, like watermelon. during winter months you will have to also add some sorce of heat for them.

hopefully breeders who sell and ship will see this and be of more help.

4. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    thanks guys... I am also considering seramas!!! They sell for a lot and don't take up alot of room

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    agian depends on the market what sells for a lot now may not sell for a lot next month

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by