breeding pygmy goats

diamondgalz

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2017
Hello all,

I have a question on pygmy goats. I'm new to this animal. We bought 3 females and one male from a ranch. One female was already pregnant when we got her. She delivered triplets with only one surviving. One was stillborn, one lasted a day and the third we raised till 2 months and he found his new home. We LOVED that little guy!! Since then, this same doe was bred again, gave birth to twins this time. One again was stillborn and the other only survived a day. We even tried to supplement with bottle feedings but it didn't work. Our other youngest doe also gave birth a couple of months later to a stillborn. Now this was her first pregnancy. I'm worried there's something we're missing. Is there something these does need during their pregnancies that we're not providing? We may just be having bad luck but I wanted to be sure there wasn't an error on our parts as owners. They get grain, fresh hay and water. They have shelter and protection. Is there anything else we can do? I considered that it may be our buck but he's healthy and active. Just want to be sure I'm not messing up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Are you feeding a good loose goat mineral which contains copper?

There are various diseases that can cause stillborn kids, a vet should be able to do some testing for you. Things like brucellosis, leptosporosis, and chlamydia to name a few.

Eating some plants can cause abortions and stillborn kids.

Goats butt each other, being rammed in the belly could cause a fetus to die.

Just a few reasons. If you are repeatedly seeing dead kids I would have a vet have a look at them.

You might want to talk to your Vet about it. He/she may be able to give you some insight as to what the problem is.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm happy to say that one of our does gave birth to twins last friday!!! A boy and a girl - they both seem to be doing well. Eating and already playing "king of the mountain" - Hopefully this means we'll continue to have healthy births. Our other doe is due in about a month.

Adorable.
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom