Breeding Q..drakes ignoring one female?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cdnley, Nov 8, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    All 4 of my ducks are the same age. I have 2 ducks and 2 drakes. I have seen the drakes mating with my pekin duck but never with my mixed breed duck. She has a crooked neck but gets along fine and is one with the crew. What is the deal do you think? Does she have more wrong with her than a crooked neck? Do you think she could be infertile or something (thus being ignored for mating by the drakes?)

Any experience with this? As it is the ducks and geese crowd around the breeding pair, it is like a free peep show! With hormones in overdrive I am concerned kwim!

2. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    [​IMG] sometimes there are just favorites. And they certainly can be mating her when you're not around to watch. I wouldn't be surprised if her eggs were fertile.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I thought my drake was ignoreing one of my khaki hens, until I put three eggs from each of my hens in the incubator, and it turns out 2 out of 3 of her eggs were fertile. I agree with toadbriar....

4. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks. I will be on the lookout come spring to see if she lays fertile eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by