Breeding quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blkpoodles, Oct 27, 2011.

1. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    I know he's not show quality but is he breeding quality. he dos have hard feathers in his tail, his head is growing out still after getting his feathers ripped out by another rooster where he came from.
    [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    may be but only till u find something better

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    he looks hatchery quality to me [​IMG] i wouldn't breed him unless the chicks are for you and your friends/neighbors/relatives only. if you want to have anything larger than that, get the best quality silkies you can find (and afford!) and go from there! you'll have nicer and more desirable birds and gain more respect as a breeder. i'm sure there are people on here who could help you get some good foundation stock [​IMG]

CG

4. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i am getting chicks from a show quality stock but i just want to know if he's breedable
    Quote:

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    well technically any bird is "breedable" but if you want quality chicks, breeding him might not be a great idea.

CG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i got him from a lady who said he's from a breeder. i am getting better silkies from a breeder.
    Quote:

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    rooster are dime a dozen ivebeen given many diffrent nice roosters

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    I went through this same situation. If you are getting quality chicks, I recommend you not use this roo even though he is very pretty. If you study a lot of the photos on here you will begin to see the differences in body type, feathering and comb shape and color. [​IMG]

9. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    I went through this same situation. If you are getting quality chicks, I recommend you not use this roo even though he is very pretty. If you study a lot of the photos on here you will begin to see the differences in body type, feathering and comb shape and color. [​IMG]

It's also okay to breed the chicks you are getting to each other. [​IMG]

10. blkpoodles

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    he wont be in the same pen as the show quality chicks i'll be getting, he'll be in with the pet quality pen. i was just curious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by