Breeding question for Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HenPecked_bychildren, Feb 3, 2011.

1. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    I have 6 Wheaten and 6 Blue Ameraucana chicks coming in Feb. They are straight run and so I am sure I'll get some roosters in there. How can you breed them together? I don't know much about genetics and am just curious what will result. Thanks!

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    You really shouldn't breed them together. I've seen some wheaten x blacks and they just have red leakage in the hackles and saddle feathers. I'm assuming it would work the same blue wheatens x blues

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2 You'll get blue, black, and splash "Ameraucanas" with red leakage, so thus, unless you're working on a project to improve something or make a new color, people may call them Easter Eggers.

4. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    No project and not breeding for any purpose. They'll just be in my backyard. lol I was just curious. Thanks.

5. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    What I would do--tho you've already said they're just for backyard fun, so this might not be the way you want to go/may be more trouble than it's worth for you if you don't want to really breed them to standard--Is pick the best pair or trio of the wheatens and the best pair or trio of the blues, and just keep them separate. You're likely going to get pullets & cockerels of both color, so unless luck is really not on your side (I have hatched 6 roosters out of 7 eggs...and 6 hens out of 7 eggs!), you should be able to get a decent pair or even trio from each color. Get rid of any extra roosters and keep any hens not suitable for breeding in your laying flock. Then you can breed wheatens and blues. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. HenPecked_bychildren

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    Quote:I thought about that. We have 2 separate coops/runs, so I might separate a pair one of the colors over there to keep them standard.

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Also nothing wrong with making EE's or non-standard color AM's. Some of the color mixes are really pretty. Nothing like having eye candy in the back yard! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by