breeding question? Sex links

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mtn Cur, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Okay, I know you can't breed sex links and expect the next run sex linked. But does egg production slow down if you were to breed? I don't care about color, but I do care about production of eggs. Does anyone have experience on the second breeding or have heard about someone doing so.

I have read about the "dead end sex links" in magazines, and they make it sound like they can't reproduce at all.

2. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    that depends, are you breeding sex link hens to sex link roosters? or are you breeding the hens to a rooster of a different breed (like a parent breed of the sex link) I would think that if you breed s-l to s-l, you'd get a buffet of different genetic traits, including the once-a week-layer, as well as possibly a once-a-day layer. If you used a layer strain of BR or a production red rooster, you'd still get a variety of traits, but I don't think that it would be as great of a variety. that's IMHO, since I've never tried any of this.

3. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    yeah it would be sl to sl. Thats all I got right now. Although it would be easy to pick up a rir or br rooster.

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    sl to sl gives you mutts, various varieties and mixes of the genes in both of the parent stock breeds. Most sex links are a red rooster to a silver gene hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by