Breeding question. Showgirls -- I want some!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 23, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    I have just discovered Showgirls and I have got to have some!! [​IMG]

I already have a black male Turken chick and actually have some various colors of silkies on the way to me in the mail. Of course, they are too young to breed for a while. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice for a newbie to try to breed my own showgirls from these chicks when they are older.

I have been doing some research online and have read some different things. Is it correct that the male has to be Turken or Showgirl and the female should be a Silkie? It can't be the other way around? (Female Showgirl & male silkie?)

I also read that you may have to breed for several generations from the original Turken. So would I not get anything near what I want the first time around?

I love my naked neck chicks and even think they are cute now that I'm used to them. I have also wanted some silkies since I was a child and finally have some ordered. Now I have seen photos of showgirls and it's the perfect combination! I've got to have some!! Any advice will be appreciated!!

2. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    bump

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    the female can be the showgirl as long as the male is a silkie.
    If you breed a reg nn turken to a silkie yes it takes a long time to get the quility os a showgirl.

4. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Maybe I will come across a showgirl that I can buy to get started with. I don't want to buy eggs by mail right now like others are doing because I feel like I'm too inexperienced to start that.

My husband wants an incubator, so I may get him one for father's day this year. Then I can use it. [​IMG] He does want one for himself, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by