1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breeding question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by megan chickens, Feb 4, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi guys! So i have a smaller breed of chicken, she is a bit bigger than the size of a dove. She is my only small one and she lays 1 egg every day. I want more small ones like her. We have a roster and he is the size of a normal roster. Anyway i was wondering if and how i could get them to mate, and what is the chance the eggs will hatch and turn out to be a small breed like her?[​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Too bad you did not include a picture so we could identify your hen. By your description, it may be an OEGH. Here is the problem of crossing your LARGE rooster with your hen. Imagine crossing a GREAT DANE, with a female Chihuahua . You can see the difficulty in the conception. If your rooster mounts your little hen, then she may have fertile eggs. Problem here is that your little hen would most likely try to escape from your LARGE rooster and no fertility. If you did achieve fertile eggs, the chicks would be mixed breed and hard to say if they would grow up to be small, medium ,or almost large like rooster. Get a small rooster and you will have some nice small chicks.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by