1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nychicken, Feb 10, 2009.

1. nychicken

nychicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    I hope this isn't a stupid question or has been covered ad nauseum and I'm just not seeing the answer. I am restarting my flock with black australorps and buff orpingtons. I would also like to get a roo. If iget a buff orpington roo and it mates with a black australorp what the heck do I get?[​IMG] Besides mutt chickens.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    you get a buck orpinlorp [​IMG]

I try to be helpful [​IMG]

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    The only thing you get is mutts, what were you hoping for? If you want to keep the separate breeds going you need to get one rooster of each .

If you want to keep just one breed going, you can do that by when its breeding time separate the flock. You can gather eggs for hatching imediatly since their is only one rooster you dont have to worry about the offspring being mutts. The reason for the separation is to make sure you only gather eggs from the hens that match the rooster.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]
    or perhaps a bluff austroping?
    Nice chickens I'm sure, but mutts.

5. nychicken

nychicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    All right pardon my continuing ignorance but how do you know when it's breeding time...[​IMG]

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    You simply choose the time to gather eggs. Most people choose to start early spring and stop in the summer. You want the chicks to be fully feathers and filled out a little before winter.

I have one friend that has been raising game birds for years and swears that birds hatched after May are weaker then those hatched February - April, he stops hatching in April.

You also need to decide if you are going to use an incubator or broody hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by