Breeding question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by [email protected], Mar 31, 2009.

1. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Hope I posted this in the right place [​IMG]

How many hens can a rooster breed successfully in one day.

and if I have more than one rooster and separate the hens to be bred from a certain rooster? How long should I wait to make sure the eggs is fertal from the rooster I wanted?

Thanks, Randy

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    A hen can remain fertile for up to 3 weeks after mating.

I've heard of bantam roos covering a flock of 20 girls. But, I would say 10 or so would be my limit if you wanted to be sure.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    [email protected] :

Hope I posted this in the right place [​IMG]

How many hens can a rooster breed successfully in one day.

Are only going to give him 1 day? I don't know how many he'll get to in 1 day. Might just breed the same hen several times. I have my GLW rooster with 22 hens and he keeps them about 80% fertility rate, but, he is with them 24/7.
    [email protected] :

and if I have more than one rooster and separate the hens to be bred from a certain rooster? How long should I wait to make sure the eggs is fertal from the rooster I wanted?

Thanks, Randy

I was told by others on here to wait three weeks, before collecting eggs to hatch, from the mating that I wanted to hatch chicks from. I also tried hatching out some after waiting only 10 days and it appears the chicks breed true to the breed I was after. Could be I got lucky.[​IMG]

4. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    Thank ya'll for the information [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by