Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GordieH, Jul 15, 2011.

1. GordieH

GordieH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    I ordered some roosters so that I can have some chicks next spring. Right now I have 12 pullets. 8 of them are Ameraucanas and 4 are Rhode Island Reds. I ordered 3 Ameraucana roosters and 7 Buff Orpington roosters. 2 of the Ameraucana chicks were dead on arrival, so I am left with only 1 Ameraucana rooster for breeding. I don't mind breeding the Rhodes with a Buff next spring. However, I want to keep the Ameraucanas pure.

My question is this -- How far in advance of keeping the eggs for hatching do I need to isolate the breeder hens from the rest of the flock to ensure pure Ameraucanas. Or should I isolate the Buff Orpington Rooster from the rest of the flock and then reintroduce him to the 4 Rhodes. [​IMG]

I know that I will have to isolate the Ameraucana breeders when I get ready to save the eggs for hatching. Another question, How many hens should I save eggs from to be able to hatch out around 20 or so eggs?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The general rule of thumb is that hens can produce viable eggs for 3 weeks after the removal of a rooster, but there have been instances where hens have produced fertile eggs as long as 4 weeks after the removal of a rooster. The easiest way to assure parentage would be to separate the O rpington from the flock.

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    The general rule is one rooster to every like 10 hens. Is there a reason you ordered so many roosters?

4. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Quote:I didn't need any more hens, as I live in town. And I had to have a minimum order to get what I wanted locally. I am in West Texas and I ordered from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX. Plus it puts a few roosters in the pot.

5. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Quote:TY for the answer. I will make sure to take him away from the flock about 4 - 5 weeks before I start collecting eggs for hatching. I was thinking I would have to separate the Reds from the Ameraucanas as well to ensure purity. But that was a duh moment as the Reds lay brown eggs and the Ameraucanas don't. Should be able to tell which eggs I want to hatch out. I can put the Buff rooster with the Reds though if I decide I don't mind hybrid chicks also. [​IMG]

6. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Quote:I didn't need any more hens, as I live in town. And I had to have a minimum order to get what I wanted locally. I am in West Texas and I ordered from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX. Plus it puts a few roosters in the pot.

Got it [​IMG] Just checking since I saw you are a "new egg". lol.

ETA: I just thought of something. You said you are in town. Have you checked to see if you are allowed to have roosters?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Quote:Yes and Yes. [​IMG]

8. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    lol. ok just checking again. I didn't want you to get attached and then all of a sudden find out you're not allowed to keep them. I'd be heartbroken!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Buff Orp rooster over Red hens will produce very attractive dual purpose pullets and cockerels for the pot. If your "Ameraucanas" came from Ideal, they are most likely EE, and there is a possibility that some may not lay blue/green eggs. [​IMG]

10. GordieH

Jul 10, 2011
    West Texas
    Excuse my ignorance, sourland. What does EE mean? I was thinking that the Buff and the Red would make a nice combo. Usually hybrids are great for size and vigor. As long as we don't go across kinds. Looking forward to next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by