breeding question.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tobyerick, Oct 25, 2014.

1. tobyerick

tobyerick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Ok so I have a mixed flock. I have Austrolarps, easter eggers, bards, and some buff orpington. Now all are mixed in the pen but are pure (hatchery) and I have several roosters witch I did for genetic diversity.....it's what I tell my self but really they are just pretty birds lol. So here is my question I have a bard rooster also a pretty sexlink roo that would produce bards, and hens and I also have buff orpington roos and hens. How long would I have to pen the breeding birds separately and not incubate the eggs before I was sure they were only fertilized by the chosen roo?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    When you say "bard" - are you referring to Barred Plymouth Rocks?

To the question - I would wait three weeks after separation before considering any eggs to be from the breeding you are wanting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At least 2 weeks, 3 is better.

Just an fyi, your black sex link rooster will only give 50% barred offspring.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    When I have a genetic marker to work with I get away with only a week. Second rooster dominates through sperm competition after only a few days based on what happens with American Dominiques crossing with American Games. Game roosters have better sperm so more competitive. I have two markers; extended black, sex-linked barring, and rose comb. The markers can be used to detect slip ups at hatch which are the small minority. Barred Plymouth Rocks give you to of the same markers.

5. tobyerick

tobyerick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    They are barred rocks. I was hoping it would only be a few days. Oh well I'm still going to build a second yard and give it a shot I would like to get more barred rocks and orps. I wanted true amuricanas (sp?) But got easter eggers so not to worried about keeping them going true. And the Legg horns and Austrolarps don't have a roo and the Legg horns can go for all I care to fine of a bird for my purposes.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    With the possible exception of your sex-linked you may still have markers that help. When rotate an American Dominique hen between cocks of same where markers do not apply I allow second bird to cover her for 14 days before collection of hatching eggs by second male commences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by