Breeding Questions (timing, ec.)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    OK, we are a world away from actually doing this, but I'm just wondering, so figured I'd ask.

Say you have a flock that contains a few different breeds, mostly hens with a few roosters, and you let them all range together because you're gathering all the eggs anyway, and don't care if the eggs are fertile or who's fertilizing them.

So a ways down the road, you decide you'd like to breed a particular hen or two to a particular rooster. Obviously you separate the breeding pair or trio (or whatever) so that the hen(s) only exposure is to one rooster...how long would you need to wait before collecting eggs to incubate, to ensure that the eggs you're getting are from your "chosen" rooster, and not anyone who came before?

Obviously, I am putting off doing housework and fixing dinner. [​IMG]

Belinda

2. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Should I move this to a different forum? I didn't see one that really seemed to "fit" the topic.

???

Belinda

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Hi. A hen can remain fertile for up to three weeks after mating. So, you'd need to keep her penned with the roo at least three weeks to be sure.

4. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks! So, a month would be nice and safe, then? [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, except in very rare instances, a month would be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by