Breeding questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mikedero, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mikedero

Mikedero Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I am not allowed to have roosters but there is a local place that rents out a rooster. My question is how long do I have to have the rooster with the hens and how long before the eggs are fertile and how long would the chickens lay fertile eggs?

I heard that they can lay fertile eggs for a month after mating.

they rent by the day, by the weekend and by the week.

Also is there a issue introducing a rooster to a flock that never had a rooster???

And of FYI I do nto care if they are purebreeds or not as these are only for laying. It seems to me that it is cheaper to buy day old chickens from stores then it is buying hatching eggs.

thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry, but I personally think renting out roosters is not a good idea. You can not tell for sure that roo is healthy and is not carrying anything like worms/mites which he can introduce to your flock. Worms and mites are often not obvious or visible. I've had a worm infestation in my flock once and I had no idea, there was no sign of it in their droppings and the hens seemed healthy enough. Until one dropped dead.

Also it could take awhile for your hens to accept the rooster and allow him to mate with them. And they may not take kindly to an enthusiastic, strange, male in their midst. He could injure them, cause them stress, mess up their flock dynamics, which in turn could make them stop laying. Not too mention how stressful it must be for the rooster. Getting shunted from flock to flock like that must be very stressful for him too.

To answer your question: After a successful mating a hen can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks. I would rather buy fertile eggs from someone and hatch them. It may be cheaper for you to rent-a-roo for a few days, but think about what it would cost to get your hens back to health if they get sick from being exposed.

Please reconsider this.

3. Mikedero

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I never thought of the worms and mites

Not going to buy the eggs much cheaper to buy day old chicks from the feed stores. I have not had good luck with hatching eggs.

Last quail batch 3 out of 17 hatched total cost for 3 quail hatching 14.00

I bought a dozen Marans eggs and only 2 hatched total paid for 2 chicks that lived 31.99 that is some expensive chickens

The only eggs that did good for me came from my own quail out of 20 eggs set 18 hatched.

I am done with shipping eggs, I might try again but down the road. Yes the rent a rooster is out until I can keep a rooster myself

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I hear quail eggs can be a challenge, but it sounds like you got the formula right with your own eggs! Shipped eggs are well, the odds are 50/50 with them I hear. I try to get eggs locally myself if not from my own hens. Maybe do what I did last time and ask around if anyone locally has a roo with their hens and can sell you some fertile eggs? I lucked out with some Hyline eggs, 5 out of 6 hatched, the other 1 died just before hatching, but I'm not complaining. And I got the eggs for free too! LOL

5. Mikedero

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I tried as well there was 2 places that had them cheap one was 42 miles away and the other 30 with my truck getting 11MPG it would end up costing me more then shipping them. No one with in 15-20 miles from. that I can find. here in CT they people trying to get 1.00 per egg for Quail hatching eggs that is crazy

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I wouldn't pay that if they guaranteed me a 100% hatch rate LOL Maybe you should get yourself a nice roo and start selling hatching eggs [​IMG]

7. Mikedero

Mar 22, 2012
    Watertown CT
    I would love to have a roo but I am sure my whole neighborhood would just love me.

the question was just a thought for next year. I might just bite the bullet and buy on ebay again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by