Breeding Rabbits/Dominance - Advice for Newbies, please!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MrsKemmerlin, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    We have two New Zealand white does (1yo and 8mth old) and a NZ/CaliX buck who is about 9 mths old - the young doe and buck have never bred before, however, the older doe has. We bought her pregnant so we have expierenced her kindling.

We went to breed the buck to both does this weekend and ran into some "complications" - the young doe was not too thrilled of the idea, but I believe they successfully bred after a little encouragement. She would tuck her tail and lay as flat as possible, but she is my shy bun, so we kind of expected that. We housed the buck next to her for that reason - so maybe some sparks would fly prior to the deed needing to be done [​IMG] ...Either way, he got her in a corner and go the job done.

My older doe, however, is much larger than my little lady. And like mentioned, she knows the deal. I feel my buck was at a disadvantage with her because of his lack of expierence... but is there anything we can do to help this along? I believe we are running into some dominance issues with her as she began mounting my buck [​IMG] She isn't aggressive, but we didn't want to leave her in there in case she became aggressive towards him for whatever reason...

Any advice as to how we can handle this? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    DO NOT cage the buck next to the does.... cage about 50 feet + distance away... out of sight and smell also.... Does with little ones don't want bucks around and may kill the young ones... trampling on them in frustration smelling or seeing the buck....
    When breeding, take the doe to the bucks cage... and only let them breed once.... won't take long.... about 10 seconds....

3. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    He will not be near her once she kindles, he has a little batchelor pad that will be waiting for him when the time comes for that [​IMG]

I took both does, individually of course, to him. And my older doe still was showing dominance towards him [​IMG] He tried mounting her and then they were kind of going back and forth with who was on top of who... And then she continued to be the "leading" lady.

4. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    It's actually pretty normal for her to mount him. If she's crabby about it just separate them into their own pens and try again in 30 minutes to an hour. Rabbits are induced ovulators. Mating releases their eggs so letting them mate more than once will increase the size of their litter. You can help him out by holding her still till he gets started if you'd like too.
    Aprille

5. SternRose

SternRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Sorry to say but u got everything wrong ther.
    1: breed her 3 times to him then do it again 3-6 hrs latter
    2: you can keep the buck next to her, I do and it helps speed things up
    3: she will not mind the buck being there if they have sperat cages all my bucks are 2inches away from our momma does
    I breed mini Rex's, mini lops and dutches and soon Flemish new zeleand mixs. Our set up is buck doe buck doe buck doe. It works wonders.

6. SternRose

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    You can put them in all together but you have to watch them and keep track who's been bred and who needs bred. And u don't need to move the buck.
    My Dutch buck lives with my mini lop doe now and they have breeding plans next year. My buck won't breed unles I'm there to tape him on the butt. That's my signal to my bucks to start.

7. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Good to know, aprille218! I will have to try holding her... I'm sure she will really love me after that [​IMG] I wonder if holding her will help with the dominace issue... or make it worse... I guess we shall see [​IMG]

8. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    How funny SternRose that they wait for your signal!

9. SternRose

Mar 23, 2014
    Training my dogs
    My Coop
    Thanks? Lol, it was hard to get them to cuz there were driven. So I trained them with a stuffed rabbit I rubbed all over my does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by