Breeding Red Sex Links..did I make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by GwenFarms, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I think I got confused. Its really hard here to find delaware, or rhode island whites. On craigslist i saw a breeder that was selling Delaware White chicks, so I emailed him and he offered me a pretty good deal on some roosters. So I was thinking Great! I can breed them to my Rhode Island Red hens to make the sex links I want. Now I'm thinking that it is generally Rhode Island Red Roosters to Delaware White hens that make one of the oldest srains of red sex links. Will it work if I breed rooster to hen?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm not sure which way it goes... but only one way will make the sexlinks. I think you want the silver roo (with the silver genes) over the red hen though, to get lighter brown boys and darker brown girls.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The sire must be red. So you have it backwards.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In that case, what you have should work. Time to file away new piece of information. Red sire, silver hen.

So you got what you need! I think.

5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Thanks Greyfield, I knew you could set me straight. Guess I'll have to break the deal with the guy, as I don't think he'll part with his hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by