Breeding reference

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Yard full o' rocks, May 13, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I am branching out from just Buff Orps to a variety of chickens. I have RIRs, BRs and bantam EEs in the 'bator now and another 34 BOs due next week. I am going to hatch some BBS orps next. Is there any type of reference chart (please pardon my neophyte terminology) that will tell you what you will get if you breed a certain type of rooster to a certain type of hen. For example - what would you get if you bred a BO roo to a Blue Orp hen? Etc.....thanks

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Buff is a difficult case for the CCC

Set BO as: E^Wh/E^Wh Co/Co Db/Db Mh/Mh Di/Di i+/i+ s+ (no dun factor I^d as suggested for buff)
    Set the blue as: E^R/E^R Ml/Ml maybe S instead of s+
    Blue is probably E/E but the effect of Db is best shown on E^R
    The result is somewhere between E and E^R
    Db's effect on E is not well documented.

No whites in your flock? [​IMG]

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I see what you mean. When I've crossed Buff Orps to what I believe to be E birds the offspring have had a surprising amount of gold on the head, neck & breast.

5. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:I tried to look at that Henks calculator and just got more confused. I think it was just all the foreign language stuff and I was tired. Will try it again today (with coffee). Perhaps I am still too novice at this to really understand the genetics part just yet. Thank you for the suggestion.[​IMG]

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Don't worry. Some concepts have to sink in slowly. [​IMG]
    The columbian effect alone took me 2 weeks to digest.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I've found that I learn best one gene at a time--especially when I first started learning.

In a lot of ways learning the genes is like math--it builds upon itself--can't learn or understand calculus if you haven't mastered arithmetic (and a few other things [​IMG] )

I still haven't quite figured out columbian [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by