1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding Rooster. What do you feed them?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BlueEngineFarm, Sep 25, 2009.

1. BlueEngineFarm

BlueEngineFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    NC
    So, I have been feeding my roosters scratch and fresh grass and treats. Is there anything else to feed them? My fertility rate is low.
    Lynne

2. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    If you have just roos, I would give them rooster feed.

3. BlueEngineFarm

Sep 1, 2009
    NC
    The roos have 3 girls each right now- each roo with its own pen and trio. When they are not together, then, there is a feed for roosters- is it just the grower /finisher?
    Thank you,
    Lynne

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roo eats layer pellets right along with my hens. Normally when the girls are laying well (their molting right now) out of every dozen eggs, 11 are fertile.

5. lilmouthy

lilmouthy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    Alabama
    My Roo gets the same as my hens...Layer Pellets,with a hand full of sweet feed mixed in.

6. BlueEngineFarm

Sep 1, 2009
    NC
    I can do that!! [​IMG] Thank you so much for the information. I came across something that said the calcium content would hurt the roosters. [​IMG] Too much false information out there.
    Lynne

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nah, not exactly false. Too much calcium will settle in the rooster's joints or bones or something like that.
    Takes a very long time for that. The feed I use only has like 3% calcium in it. I supplement with oyster shell for my hens and the rooster doesn't touch the OS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by