Breeding SDWG OEGB to Fawn SDWG Adv/Disadv

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greenfamilyfarms, Apr 13, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My Fawn Silver Duckwing OEGB has been acting up lately and I have the battle scars to prove it. I wouldn't normally mind it, but people think I've been attacked by a cat when they see me.

Anyways, I am considering the advantages and/or disadvantages of introducing a Silver Duckwing in with my Fawn Silver Duckwing hens, and selling my fiesty boy.

What are the advantages or disadvantages genetically speaking of this breeding arrangement?

Silver Duckwing Male x Fawn Silver Duckwing females

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    No OEGB genetics folks here?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With only one copy of I^D, you'd get chocolate, not fawn, in your F1 cross. (Like breeding black & splash together.) After that it would have the same percentages as black, blue & splash breeding--just substitute SDW for black, chocolate SDW for blue and FSDW for splash. I don't raise OEGB, and while I am working on chocolate and khaki (fawn) silkies, I still have a long way to go. Not sure if the change would mess up the DW pattern or not.

Why not acquire another FSDW male?

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure if the change would mess up the DW pattern or not.

Doesn't sound like it.
    Is fawn another name for replacing black with I^D? Would that be homozygous?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by