"Breeding Season"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ma, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Is there such a thing as a season when roosters are more active? Or do they, just...ahem....go at it all the time?[​IMG]

My rooster seems to be overactive![​IMG] He's at it all day and night, and even in these sub-zero times!

Please enlighten me.................

Thanks!

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

does he go to sleep at night and roost with everyone else? I would think he would quit at night unless there is a light on all night (which I wouldn't recommend). Roosters "go at it" any time they feel like it, but I would think he would quit at night.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    He's a male. That's the answer! LOL

All year long, any time of the day, roosters will do their thing.

4. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Well, (blush..) I may have exaggerated a wee bit on the "all night long"..............No, I don't have a light and its pitch dark out here where we are in the country. We don't even keep our yard light on at night, and no car lights shine in the coop either. But he still crows at night..........

Ho hum, it's as I suspected MissPrissy....[​IMG]

But I was just wondering if maybe I had the most overactive rooster ever. Are some just naturally more, um.....active, than others? Just my luck I suppose. I have 1 rooster to 8 hens, and they are all getting...............over worked.[​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I imagine that's a good ratio but I think if you had more hens he could spread the love around a little more. I have one rooster and 10 hens and only one lookes ragged from it- I think because she stands for him more than the others. I think some roosters are harder on the girls than others though. Personality thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by