Breeding Season?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ParadisePoultry, Oct 30, 2010.

1. ParadisePoultry

ParadisePoultry Hey, I'm WALKIN' here !

Oct 19, 2009
    Paradise (Braham), Mn
    I have a simple question. When do you consider it the "breeding season" ? I've heard that term often, but since roos seem to be game to go any time, when is the actual "season" ?

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    The short answer is ....January thru December. Having said that, most farmers don't leave eggs under a broody hen except in the warmer months. They want to hatch chicks when the weather does not hurt them with either cold temps or dampness.

Larry

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Some chickens slow down egg production in the winter, & most gamebirds. Around here, peak breeding season is March thru Sept.

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    It depends on what part of the country you are in, the shows you attend, etc.

If you are up here in MN, breeding season should be starting for the exhibitors any time now. For the 4-H aspect, they have to have chicks out of the shell as soon after January 1st as possible. Our open fall shows are in October and you have to time your hatches to have birds in prime condition for those. Some breeds mature within 4-6 months (leghorns, etc) and some of them take a bit longer ...like 10-12 months (our silkies, cochins, etc). Now this does not fit in with our climate up here very well. It means keeping young stock in the house or a heated barn for months on end. Cold temps inhibit shipping for quite a few months. Daylight hours don't coincide with natural laying schedules so supplemental light is often needed. You deal with alot of frozen eggs and lack of fertility because the birds just aren't as active. This is your 'breeding season' for getting your show birds though. Go out of state for shows and they might have spring or winter shows...its all about timing your hatches for having birds old enough for them.

Then there is the main breeding season that most of us raise the bulk of our stock. Up here in MN, this is May through June usually. Temps are getting warm enough to have the birds laying decent, no more frozen eggs, can brood chicks outside. It finally gets warm enough to safely ship chicks. Most waterfowl first start laying in this time frame anyways here too. Outside of this, it is really hard to sell chicks to anyone. You are limited to local sales because of the temps. Most of the local people aren't willing to keep large numbers of birds in the house either and will only buy when its warm enough to put them outside. If you are just someone wanting to raise chicks to make some money, this is the time to get your numbers out. There are plenty of swaps to sell at. If you are an exhibition breeder, this is the time you are raising a few batches to get ready for the spring shows. These are your replacement pullets or started sale birds for in the spring.

Great to meet you in Hutch Barb!

5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    When my Cornish are laying that's when the incubator is on. Mine seem to be wierd in their timing they lay best Nov-Dec and then March-April.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by