Breeding sex links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by warmfuzzies, Feb 28, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, I saw some threads about this, but none that really described all the different varieties.

Could some one explain what to cross to get each different type of sex-link? I know that their are red and black, but I also heard about cinnamon.

2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Red Sexlinks - Delaware females X Rhode Island Red males

Gold Sexlinks - Rhode Island White females X Rhode Island Red males

Brown Sexlinks - silver factor White Rock females X Rhode Island Red males

Black Sexlinks - Barred Plymouth Rock females X Rhode Island Red males. Black Sexlinks are also referred to as Rock Reds.

Golden Comet - silver factor White Rock females X New Hampshire male

Cinnamon Queen - Silver Laced Wyandotte X New Hampshire male

Edited for typo

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Thank you!! perfect...

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    There are no breed standards for these hybrids so the hatcheries feel free to give them whatever name they want. One is Sil-Go-Link.

Like the "Rock Red" that makes some sense if the words are spelled out "Silver-Gold-Sexlink" - silver factor x gold.

The "silver factor" at first seems fairly straight-forward to a layman like me and can easily be seen in a barred bird. That the silver genes can be obscured (probably not the right word) by white, adds a certain element of mystery to crossing, however.

There might be some mystery to buff genetics but that may be one of the choices for the sires. And, I'm curious about black sires which I've been told here is a workable cross for sex-links.

I doubt if the breed associations have any interest in the hybrids but it would help to have a little standardization in names. Just dreaming there, I suspect . . .

Steve

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I've used Black Australorp roo X Barred Rock. Results in a Black Sexlink, but the females do not develop the reddish neck/breast. Males are barred. Makes a very good layer too with some hybrid vigor.

Ameraucana (pure) roos (Black OR Blue) and Barred Rock females will also give a sexlink cross. I make this one as well to get a better laying EE - green eggs.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Very good to know . . .

Steve [​IMG]

7. dolmen

dolmen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    this is an oldish thread but I've been searching for answers and you may be able to help. I'm starting with Black Australorp rooster and Barred Plymouth Rock hen, am I correct in thinking that this should give me black hens for the laying yard and Barred males?
    In time put these Barred males back to Australorp hens which should give me Barred females and Barred males plus others? Its the next generation that causes me confusion, putting these Barred brother/ sisters together should give me what? please forgive a beginner and his simple questions.
    If you had pics at each stage I'd really appreciate seeing the outcome of your experience, tia.

8. podgal

podgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Question
    I have an assortment of red sex linked hens and one RIR roo. Will I get sex linked chicks? Thanks.

9. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    My understanding is the sex link only happens with the first generation. The different colored birds are picked because the male and female chicks come out different colors making it easy to tell them apart. That won't happen with the next generation even if you use a full blood roo because the hens have both colors in their background.

10. podgal

podgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Awesome. Thanks so much for speedy response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by