1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding sex-links

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tcain24, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tcain24

tcain24 New Egg

Was wondering what would be the best or ideal rooster to breed to red and black sex links? thanks

2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Rhode Island Red x Barred Rock = Black Sexlink
    Rhode Island Red x Delaware = Red Sexlink

If I can keep a RIR rooster alive or not get mean I will be raising them. :) Just need to buy more BR's and Delaware's hens. But I do love these breeds. :)

3. tcain24

tcain24 New Egg

I have 9 black sex link hens and 8 red sex link hens. Just wondering
    what would be the best rooster to breed these with

4. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Can you not breed them with black sex link/red sex link roosters?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The black sex link is tough to breed to, to make an attractive offspring, in our experience. A pure Barred Rock will produce chicks almost identical to a Barred Rock, but it may be muddied a bit, and red tones may still appear.

With a red sex link, a pure Red bird makes a really nice chick. I'd choose either a RIR or NH.

You might be interested in this thread of our experience. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/660815/breeding-sex-links-third-generation

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you know your babies won't be sex linked? So really, any rooster is fine as you'll be making barnyard mixes anyway. Just choose a rooster with traits you want to pass along--I always start with temperment and go from there--is he nice sized, if you know his momma was she a good layer, etc.

7. tigerchick

tigerchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2015
    I have two black sex link roosters. Two chicks have hatched. They are both black but one came from a green egg. Anyone have an Americana hen and a black sex rooster? So curious what the chicks will end up like.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If it hatched from a green egg, likely from an EE hen (which is a cross/mix - not an Ameraucana) and was sired by sexlink(which is also a cross/mix).......
    ........you've got a very mixed gene bag in that chick, who knows what they will look like<shrugs>.

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    You won't get a green egg layer and they probably aren't sex linked. If chick from green egg is hen she will lay a brown egg. I had a EE rooster mate with a delaware hen and got a pure white EE hen complete with beard and muff that lays a green egg.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know this is older but I just saw it.....

What color is the hen? That's going to be important.

I put a black sex link rooster over brown/wild-type Easter egger hens and got a mixed bag of babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first and third hens laid green/aqua egg. The second and fourth hens laid light brown eggs. The rooster didn't lay any eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by