1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breeding sex links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jjdent, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jjdent

jjdent Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    I have several red sex link hens and a Black Australorp rooster. I believe the hybrids I have are the golden comets. I've heard that you cannot get a sex link by mating a sex link hen with a sex link rooster. My question is: Can I get more hens with the laying qualities of the sex links by mating the sex links I have with the Australorp rooster, or am I required to mate a Rhode Island Red with a White Rock each time I want sex links?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are a number of combinations of male and female colors that will produce chicks that can be linked to sex, by color, at hatch.

Egg laying quality isn't the result of sex linking. The parent stock passes on it's general egg laying ability to it's offspring. In your case, the offspring should be fine layers, as both the parent stock are egg laying oriented. The chicks will not be sex linked.

3. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Hmm, I don't know much, but I thought the sex link hens were bred for their incredible laying ability. It is their only purpose. That's why they're called "single-purpose," right? These ones lay almost every day, as opposed to ones that lay only 200 to 250 per year. How much stock should I be putting in the descriptions of different breeds of hens based upon their egg-laying ability?

4. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

They are bred for their egg laying ability - they are also bred so that at the point of hatching, you know instantly what is a pullet and what is a cockerel. The cockerels rarely 'amount to much' because they're too small for meat chicken use. The hens lay as well or better than their non hybrid mothers because of hybrid vigor.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The primary purpose of sex linking is sexing chicks for the laying industry. Those folks had/have no need for males, of course.

Again, the typical Red Sex Link, by whatever of the myriad names, are often terrific layers, primarily because the parent stock has been bred for generations and generations to produce prolific layers. But there are many forms of black sex linking, head spot sex linking, so bear in mind, there are many ways to produce sex linked chicks.

One could easily breed chicks that are sex linked by head spot, white vs yellow, etc, but if you used poor laying parent stock you'd produce poor laying chicks.

Sex linking is a quirk of breeding parent stock of different colors allowing the chicks to be sexed at hatch. It tells you nothing about the laying ability of the lines used. Sex linked does not automatically equal great egg laying. Great egg laying comes from choosing great egg laying parent stock, whether it is match that produces sex linked chicks or not.

6. jjdent

Oct 20, 2013
    Rustburg, VA
    Oh, okay, got it. I forgot about the sexing at birth thing. So I will have good layers, but not be able to tell the sex at hatch. Cool. Thank you.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly. Aussies are good layers, so I'd bet the cross would be great layers, just not sex linked. The Aussie rooster would also add a little more carcass weight if you're inclined to eat your cockerels.

8. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    I find this an interesting question. Has anyone actually crossbred their golden comets/red stars and seen a significant reduction in either egg production or egg size due to the lose of hybrid vigor in subsequent generations. If so how much? I ask because I am leaning towards keeping my small flock closed so as not to introduce disease and just breeding what I have for a couple years for replenishment(I am only interested in eggs). I have a couple red stars and they are amazing layers. Nice jumbo eggs nearly every day. My dominiques are very disappointing, laying tiny eggs every other day.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Look for a thread about breeding third generation sex links, started by Fred's Hens. It's old, but he did a nice job of documenting changes noted when breeding second and third generation birds.

10. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    thank you, that was an interesting thread. I wish his pics were still there. Sounds like the second third generation rsl were still good egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by