Breeding Show Birds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coonriver, Feb 26, 2013.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    If you breed your show birds when do you do it? We have some really nice birds from a few different breeders and was wondering if they are going to be shown when do you breed them.We only show at our local fair for now but would also like to breed them for more chicks but don't want them being all beat up from breeding or do you just have birds you use for showing and ones for breeding? Out fair isn't till the end of July beginning of August if that matters.If you do breed them when would be a good time to pen them up separately? Thanks!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If you are planning on showing birds that you have already, it is better to not have them in the breeding pen, as their feather quality will suffer. Since birds molt about once a year, they should be separated males from females when they molt. Some colors also should be kept out of the sunlight or they fade or become brassy, buff is notorious for this.

If you want to show pullets and cockerels this year, plan on hatching chicks by the end of March to get birds mature enough to do well at the fair. Again, pullets and cockerels should be separated.

3. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    So there is not really a good time to breed birds that will be shown?

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Are you talking about breeding the actual birds you want to show t get fertile eggs from them, or hatching out chicks yourself for showing? I think the answer above covers both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by