Breeding show quality OEGB

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cbbantams, Jun 19, 2010.

1. cbbantams

cbbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    South
    Anyone else on here breeding and showing Old English Game Bantams?

2. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    I am breeding some but not showing

3. cbbantams

May 11, 2009
    South
    I have been looking around here trying to find others interested in breeding quality OE's.What varieties do you breed.

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    I breed and show red pyle,bb red, and this year have just added crele. I will be showing a crele pair as cockerel and pullet, the cock being undubbed as he is too young yet. He isn't conditioned enough to really compete against older birds but his conformation and color are exceptional. I also have 2 other pairs of roosters and hens that see show time now and then. I had a very hard time finding just the right birds to start with...seems like there is alot of "junk" advertised as show quality....JMO...

5. cbbantams

May 11, 2009
    South
    Show quality is a very over used term.I have been working on my varieties and I am just now getting the quality of birds that I want,and I am breeding the third generation on some of my cock birds.I have been showing these now for about three years and I am beginning to place at some of the early shows this year,so I have high hopes for the fall season.Old English will always be one of the largest and most competitive classes going.Last year in Shawnee Oklahoma there were around 400 OE's competing at that show so it is very hard to place against those guys.

6. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I was actually just about to post about this! Good thing I did a search first! I am also looking to get into OEGBs. I was interested in getting a pair or trio of creles or duckwings. I just want some as pets as I am in love with someone elses but their birds are all over 5 years old and they bareley get eggs anymore. Does anyone have hatching eggs or know of a good breeder who may?

7. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    breeding and showing brassy backs ( black only no blues yet [​IMG] )

8. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    Quote:bbred are the only ones i have but would like to get different colors
    not the best quality pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  9. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    When I was starting out, the best thing I ever did was join the Breedclub and made some contacts. One Master Breeder spent over an hour with me going up and down the rows at a show talking about my breed (LF Dark Cornish). What I learned in that hour has saved me years in the breeding pen.

If you can find a mentor, that is the best way to get started.

10. cbbantams

May 11, 2009
    South
    When I started with OE's I met a breeder not far from where I live.I didnt know who he was I just liked the birds he had so I bought my first breeder pair of Old English Bantams.I started breeding and bought a few more birds from him along the way and got to know him a little better.That was several years ago and now I consider him a good friend.I later found out that he is a master breeder and master exhibitor.He helped me alot along the way when I started showing.These guys have so much knowledge of their breeds and most are more than willing to help anyone that will ask.And you might make a friend along the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by