Breeding siblings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Treen, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Treen

Treen Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2013
    Hello, I've been doing a bit of research and read a few threads I'm this forum, but thought I'd ask so its crystal clear.. I have 4 pekins that I,hatched myself from a breeders eggs. I don't know if they're related, I have 2 buff pullets, 1 lavender pullet and the rooster is dark with a green tinge? Sorry I dont know the colour.
    Anyway, lets just say they are related. If I bred the rooster with his sisters for one generation, then put him with his daughters in one pen, and the hens with a son of their own, is this ok? Should I be getting for example a buff rooster to breed with the buff hens, or does it not matter? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I really am new to it all,I and I'm not sure if I'm I'm it for showing just yet, but I know there are people looking for kid friendly chooks, and I think pekins are very suited so thought I'd give it a go. I may even just keep them for myself!

2. Treen

Treen Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2013
    Sorry for punctuation etc, I really hate touch phones! I understand that being different colours that they aren't siblings, I just wanted to know if i am getting it.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

You should probably avoid sibling breedings--these tend to go badly quickly, especially if you followed it up with line breeding (old hens with young roos, young hens with old roos, and no siblings). Too many mixed genetics. Instead, I would find a roo who you liked who is in no way related, breed him into your hens, and then you can continue on with the classic line breeding from there as you will have a more diverse genetic stock to start with.

If you are sure that your roo is in no way related to your hens, then yes, you can start with breeding him to the hens, then breeding him to his daughters, and breeding his sons to your hens, etc.

4. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    [​IMG]

5. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by