Breeding silkie hens with non-silkie roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NorthernFruit, Sep 9, 2019.

1. NorthernFruit

NorthernFruit Hatching

Sep 9, 2019
    Morning. We're rehoming our flock and one friend wants our two little silkie hens for the purpose of breeding with her full-size, half-silkie roooster.

We were concerned that silkie hens might not be up to the task of breeding with full-size rooster. They are so small, but have been laying for about a year. Any thoughts? We thought maybe a silkie rooster can breed with any hen, but that silkie hens might be too small for anything but silkie and bantie roosters.

For the sake of their future welfare, we thought we'd get some feedback. We might be able to send those silkies elsewhere.

Thank you.

sourland, BlueBaby and grayjay11o like this.
  2. grayjay11o

grayjay11o Songster

Jun 24, 2019
    New Hampshire
    That depends on how big the rooster is, but I think they should be fine as long as you keep an eye on them and make sure that they are doing fine.

BlueBaby likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I had a smaller Bantam Hen and my big Brahma Rooster bred her without incident. I'm thinking it will be fine.

4. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Depends on how aggressive a breeder they are.
    I've crossed silkie hens with a jersey giant. He was pretty gentle, kinda just put one foot on them they never got their backs tore up.

5. Kathleen Sanderson

Kathleen Sanderson In the Brooder

Oct 29, 2017
    I've had Silkie hens bred by full-sized roosters before without any problems. They should keep an eye on things and if they see damage starting to occur from the rooster then separate them, but unless he's a rough one, they should be fine.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It all depends on the rooster. An overly large, rough large fowl rooster could injure a silky hen.

7. LeggyLeghorn

LeggyLeghorn Songster

May 2, 2019
    Co. Waterford Ireland
    I have a cross, Silkie and Polish, cockerel and hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: