Breeding silkied Cochin bantams to the Standard

Ah, poor darling! Yeah, double frizzle gene birds are known to have a lot of issues, not just with their feathering but internally as well. :hmm How did she do in your Montana winters with that feathering?
She did okay for part of it, was always outside and acting like it wasn't too cold like most of my birds do. She was always too light though for my taste and I think her size plus possible heart issues just were too much combined with the cold. My frizzles I've had on and off did just fine though with the cold

From what I've read, both heart and metabolic issues are associated with having homozygous frizzle genes, so her being lighter and having heart issues makes sense with that. :hmm

Sounds just like Harley right now, though, as far as cold tolerance goes. She's practically naked (well, her pins are starting to open up as of this morning, so she's less naked at least) but doesn't seem to be bothered by the temps we're having. She was more naked last week when we were having freezing temps down in the teens (on the Fahrenheit scale) and she seemed fine then, too, thank goodness. I have hospital pens I can pop together quickly for if I need to pull birds to a warmer environment for whatever reason, but I'd much rather not pull her from her group and then have to reintegrate her.

Ah, no worries, it happens to us all! I hope you have a restful weekend after your long week. 🙂

Yes, breeding Blue to Blue has approximately a 25% chance of making Splash offspring, with another 25% chance of Black and a 50% chance of Blue. I'm hoping it skews toward the Splashes for me with these guys next year, though, because I thus far have not had any luck hatching any Splashes at all! :fl

Ah, no worries, it happens to us all! I hope you have a restful weekend after your long week. 🙂

Yes, breeding Blue to Blue has approximately a 25% chance of making Splash offspring, with another 25% chance of Black and a 50% chance of Blue. I'm hoping it skews toward the Splashes for me with these guys next year, though, because I thus far have not had any luck hatching any Splashes at all! :fl
I love the splash coloring 😍 I have a WTB that is splash and she's beautiful! I was brain farting on my English Orpingtons, my cockerel is black, so a big fat no go on splash unless I hatch a good looking blue this spring.edit...as far as a restful weekend, that's a no go to, housework and a lot of leaves to rake, but it's all part of life. I'm sure I'll find time for a few glasses of wine 😉

I love Splash, too! I'm especially interested in Splash for these guys, though, because one of my goals is to lighten the Blues up a bit and a Splash or two should help with that goal. You can see in that last group of pictures that a lot of the Blues are so dark that they almost look Black unless you're looking closely. There are 3 Blue pullets and 3 Blue cockerels in the mix there. That's an unfortunate side-effect of silkied feathering, that for some reason it makes Blues look so dark. Athena (the pullet in the first picture in that post) is the color I'm hoping to achieve with some consistency; in person, she's the only one that really looks Blue at first glance, at least out of the pullets.

I hear you on the housework and such. It never ends! 😩 I should also try to get some leaves raked (I like to store some for the winter for my birds to dig through), and I've got to get hardware cloth cut and attached to some windows and bedding cleaned out and refreshed in one of my coops so that I can move birds into it for the winter. Been putting that off, but I think that this weekend is just about the last shot I'll have at it since the mild weather won't last forever. It'll be nice once it's done, though!

I love Splash, too! I'm especially interested in Splash for these guys, though, because one of my goals is to lighten the Blues up a bit and a Splash or two should help with that goal. You can see in that last group of pictures that a lot of the Blues are so dark that they almost look Black unless you're looking closely. There are 3 Blue pullets and 3 Blue cockerels in the mix there. That's an unfortunate side-effect of silkied feathering, that for some reason it makes Blues look so dark. Athena (the pullet in the first picture in that post) is the color I'm hoping to achieve with some consistency; in person, she's the only one that really looks Blue at first glance, at least out of the pullets.

I hear you on the housework and such. It never ends! 😩 I should also try to get some leaves raked (I like to store some for the winter for my birds to dig through), and I've got to get hardware cloth cut and attached to some windows and bedding cleaned out and refreshed in one of my coops so that I can move birds into it for the winter. Been putting that off, but I think that this weekend is just about the last shot I'll have at it since the mild weather won't last forever. It'll be nice once it's done, though!
🤞for some good hatching this spring! Do you use an incubator or the broody route, or both? Your blues are pretty dark, if you wouldn't have labeled them I would have mistaken a couple for black, but they are so fluffy I'll let it slide, lol😉Yeah I can't stand a disheveled lawn, hubby wants to mow, so the leaves gotta go. I did the back part of the property a couple weeks ago, filled the run and stashed 1 bag. On to the front today.

Back
Top Bottom