Breeding silkies

Oct 16, 2017
North Carolina
So I have two black silkies who I'm going to breed this spring, and I'm wonderin what colors will I get out of them? I read somewhere on here before I joined that someone said that they were bred with all colors, so most black silkies don't have pure black bloodlines. They also said they have gotten partridge, white, gray/silver partridge and other colors, but some are saying they don't get all those colors. I have no idea what I'm going to grt, but I'm hoping to get a partridge out of them! Is there a chance to get one, and possibly a buff?

It just depends what mix they might have in them. Black is a dominate trait so it's likely most will be black. But if they both carry other colors you won't know till they hatch

Ok, thanks!! If you have any tips on breeding silkies, or silkies tips in general, i'd love to hear them! I'be had chickens for 3(almost 4) years, and silkies are the first breed i'be gothen likevthem, and they are for show! I hope to breed them in the spring!

OK, tganks!!! I can't wait to breed them! My mom's friend is really hoping to get silkies, but the tree is only one place (except craigslist) around here that they can find silkies, but it's too far away for them, and the recently got frizzles, and they said they would trade us silkies for a frazzle!!!!!

OK, tganks!!! I can't wait to breed them! My mom's friend is really hoping to get silkies, but the tree is only one place (except craigslist) around here that they can find silkies, but it's too far away for them, and the recently got frizzles, and they said they would trade us silkies for a frazzle!!!!!
If you're hoping to breed, I wouldn't make a trade of silkies for a frazzle. A frizzle sure, but frazzles really aren't genetically sound, they can have health issues, their feathers are brittle and break, they can get major bald spots leaving them subject to sunburn and the elements. The idea is to avoid creating a frazzle in the first place. So avoid crossing a Frizzle to a Frizzle which = Frazzle. Breed a Frizzle to a smooth frizzle or a silkie to get Sizzles (also known as Satins), Smooth Sizzles, Frizzled silkies (also known as Frilkies- silkie feathers with upward curl), or silkies. That's my understanding anyways.

A black and a black should have black offspring.
A blue and a blue should have 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black
This is why some black chickens have mixed bloodlines, but like someone said before, black is a dominant trait so that is why black+black=black.
Good luck with breeding them!

Back
Top Bottom