breeding silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rebel yell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    What color will i get out of a black silkie rooster & a partridge hen ?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If they are pure, Henk's Fuzzy Logic calculator gives black patterned gold duckwing. I would have expected black.

The Silkie gene is not dominant so I would expect a regularly feathered chick in the first generation if the hen has regular feathers.

For fun and to give it some publicity, here is the link to his Fuzzy Logic calculator

http://www.kippenjungle.nl/kruisFuzz.html

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    they are pure silkies, very good blood line, never seen any that color, this is the hen,[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    When I used the calculator, I got 50% black pullets, 50% black cockerels. [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I use the standard calculator (the link below) I also get all black, which is what I would have expected. When I use the Fuzzy Logic calculator (in my other post) I get the black patterned gold duckwing. I don't know which one is right.

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How "black" is the black? With silkies, chances are pretty high that it is a melanized e^b (aka "brown" aka "partridge") based bird rather than an E (extended black) bird.

That being the case, all the offspring are likely to be partridge or grey (if the black is silver gened), however, chances are they will be fairly dark, with lower quality of penciling. How much lower quality the penciling will be will depend on whether or not the partridge mom carries one or two copied of Pg and whether the black father carries a copy or not. However, note that quality of penciling on a silkie is less obvious than on birds with normal (non-silkied) feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by